At some point the transition from childhood to teens gets us thinking about how to best care for skin that is likely to face some unique challenges. Teen skin is prone to clogging, oiliness, spots and acne and for some, even the threat of these issues causes social anxiety. Here we explore the unique needs of teen skin and how best to prevent and treat skin that is prone to these unique challenges.
WHAT CAUSE POOR SKIN AND ACNE IN TEENS?
Although some acne is genetic, and some medications can cause acne, the majority of bad skin in teen years is caused by the inevitable hormonal changes that happen as puberty begins.
An increase in sex hormones causes oil glands to get larger and produce excessive oil. These changes, along with a delay in introducing positive skin health routines (esp cleaning) can cause dead skin cells and oil to get trapped in the pores, and ultimately clog them. When pores are blocked over a prolonged period, there tends to be an overproduction of bacteria which can easily become inflamed and infected, resulting in acne and breakouts.
WHAT DOES TEEN SKIN NEED?
Whether skin problems have already surfaced or you/your teen is simply at that 'danger age', teen skin needs some specific care...
- the most important part of a teen skin regime is deep cleansing that ‘sweeps’ away oily build up of dirt and hormonal secretions from deep within the pores to allow them to breathe and prevent infection
- ingredient choice is important - look for antibacterial and antiseptic ingredients to heal and prevent excessive bacterial invasion (think tea tree, citrus, lavender)
- teen skin also benefits from gentle exfoliation that clears out dead skin cells and prevents new skin forming over excessively clogged pores
- there are also different oils to look for - non-clogging high linoleic-acid oils are important for moisturising. These are scientifically proven to heal and prevent acne
- and finally, teen skin needs high antioxidant ingredients that build maximum skin health over time
OTHER THINGS THAT CAN IMPACT SKIN HEALTH FOR TEENS…
- Heavy sweating during exercise (therefore it is even more critical to wash face after exercise)
- Stress causes both hormonal fluctuations and increased oil production
- High sugar diet – sugar has inflammatory properties
- Dairy – contains hormones that stimulate sebum/oil glands
Rubifresh has developed an easy skincare range for teens - whether just learning about skin and trying to build healthy routines, or experiencing actual skin issues. It is scientifically formulated to address specific teen skin issues. We have a Starter pack with all 4 products in travel size packs, or full size products sold separately.
Find out more here.