Whether you’re a night owl or an early bird, getting enough sleep can really impact your health… including the youthful appearance of your skin! We all know what it’s like when we haven’t had enough sleep; those dreaded dark puffy circles under the old eyes, the short temper, the low energy.
Yes, sleep can really make or break your day and not just when it comes to your mood. The term ‘beauty sleep’ isn’t just a clever way to get youngsters to go to bed earlier, it’s actually based on real facts and it’s all to do with keeping age at bay naturally.
Sleep & Youthful Skin – the Facts!
- The Human Growth Hormone is responsible for keeping us looking young and sprightly and this hormone really goes to work when we’re asleep – especially in our slow wave sleep cycle.
- We actually develop more skin while we’re asleep! This helps us renew and rejuvenate our skin increasing its youthfulness.
- ‘Stratum Corneum’ works in two ways; as the skin’s barrier to moisture loss and a defence system against bacterial invasion. When we don’t have enough sleep, the Stratum Corneum struggles to provide that barrier, leading to moisture loss, dehydration and skin that’s susceptible to breakouts.
Other Health Benefits
Besides providing incredible benefits for skin, sleep also allows time and space for our bodies to heal. This means quicker healing for your body and less injuries and illnesses long-term.
Sleep can also make you smarter! That’s right, our mind and body learn and remember new things when we’re asleep. A rested brain is one that is ready for action once you’re awake, not sluggish and cloudy like a brain deprived of zzz’s.
Finally, a lack of sleep over a period of time leads to slow and steady weight gain. Not only is your body missing out on vital rest time but you have more time to be tempted by a midnight snack… or two!
How to Get More Sleep
Sleep is such an easy way to maintain youthful looking skin naturally. It’s often the simple things in life that are most effective and this is one of them. But if you’re one of those people that find it hard to go to bed early or to get to sleep, we have a few handy tips to ease you into dreamland…
- Enjoy a lovely warm herbal tea before bedtime
- Banish screens from your bedroom and make sure you have screen-free time before you go to bed.
- Use the awesome Rescue Remedy Sleep Formula – works like a charm!
- Try herbal supplements like Valerian that won’t make you feel groggy when you wake up in the morning.
What are your favourite natural sleep remedies?
Read further into other tips and tools to help better your skin health naturally in our FREE MINI EBOOK '10 Habits for Healthy skin'. Download by clicking the 'FREE EBOOK' tab at the bottom left of the page!